Monday, September 11, 2017

The roots of Being, part I: it never goes away


There's a lot of talk about coming and going, of being present, in the moment, and how "difficult" it is.

In the midst of this, everyone consistently underestimates sensation, because sensation is not well understood. One has to make it one's aim to understand sensation in a different and new way, so that the word no longer has meaning.

I want to stress this, that the word no longer has meaning. The meaning of the word from where we stand and how we approach it within our ordinary associations is helpless. It has no relationship to a new sensation. By the time we understand the relationship, we cannot really call it a new sensation anymore, because already, the word sensation is inadequate. One can't have a word for it, because when the living force of Being awakens and participates, we at once enter areas that words don't function in. Other things, much more powerful things, function; and although it's okay to describe them and work with efforts to define their parameters, they have to be allowed their own functions, not the ones that are associations assigned them.

I said the other night to someone that sensation is the force that has the power of staying when the rest of me goes away. It can thus function like a landmark within my Being which I can always see from no matter where I am; I never have any doubt of my location relative to it and can always turn back towards it, because it never goes away. My other parts may go away; but "sensation" does not. I put it in quotation marks because this is the old word which deadens its meaning by its very existence. What ought to be understood inside those quotation marks is a living force, something that creates the roots of being.

 I have an opportunity to remember this day and make it sacred, not for any external reason, but because the day itself is already sacred, having been created by the Lord in order to allow Being to flow in. 

I can be present to this and honor both the living and the dead of all times if I make an effort to understand how the support of the inward flow enlivens my functions.

Hosanna.






Lee van Laer is a Senior Editor at Parabola Magazine.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.